Sunday, July 20, 2014

SD-installed Lubuntu 14.04 on EeePC 4G-X (701)

Asus EeePC is a very funny machine.  I have a EeePC 4G-X (701) and love it.
Originally, it had only 512 Gb ram and on-board 4Gb SSD.  I have upgraded 2Gb memory and attached ZIF socket for 64Gb SATA SSD by DIY-soldering.   However, this mod-EeePC cannot boot from the equipped SATA SSD.  Unfortunetely, the KINGSPEC SATA SSD, which I bought, is fucking and makes a internal SSD unrecognized.  To boot Windows7 from SATA SSD, I use Multiple Boot Manager installed on SD card.
This tool is simple but very useful.
This time, I tried to intall linux on SD card and setup a dual booting of Windows7 and Linux because the MBM-installed SD card has much free spaces.
Two-steps dual booting was setup.
A long time was needed to start Lubuntu 14.04 even if I used Transcend UHS-1 SD TS32GSDHC10U1E, reasonable from SANDISK extreme PRO.
In EeePC 4G-X, my impression of using Lubuntu 14.04 installed on SD is in no way inferior to Windows7 on SSD.  Fn keys also work after installation due to EEEPC hotkey driver.

1 comment: